By now, you’ve probably heard of the instant success of TikTok’s most popular coffee drink: whipped coffee. It became one of Google’s top trending recipes in 2020, and we can see why.
What is whipped coffee?
This creamy, frothy drink has cloud-like peaks and a dash of caffeine! But despite its seemingly sudden popularity on the internet, whipped coffee is a common drink in many parts of the world.
In Korea whipped coffee is called Dalgona coffee; in Greece, it is known as frappe; and in India, it’s called Beaten Coffee.
Unlike a normal cup of joe, this fancy coffee drink looks like something only a barista could conjure up. But we’re here to show you how easy whipped coffee can be done at home. With just four ingredients and less time than it takes to prepare a batch, you can make this beautiful, frothy whipped coffee in no time.
What you need to make whipped coffee
Whipped coffee is made up of just four ingredients – instant coffee (or instant espresso), sugar, water, and milk. Start with the first three ingredients in equal parts and beat them together either by hand or with a hand blender until they are fluffy and golden. Then pour the whipped topping over the ice cream and milk of your choice. As simple as that!
Why do you need instant coffee to make whipped coffee?
While I love regular coffee as much as anyone else, this recipe works best with instant coffee. In fact, instant coffee is what makes whipped coffee. In addition to your upper arm strength, which brings air into the coffee mixture, a preservative called xantham gum, which is found in instant coffee, helps stabilize it when it is whipped. You can either use instant coffee such as Folger’s or Nescafe or instant espresso such as Café Bustelo.
How to make a whipped coffee smoothie?
Whipped coffee (also known as TikTok’s Smoothie or Dalgona) is made from just 3 mixed ingredients: instant coffee, sugar, and water. It’s a creamy and frothy mixture that is served over warm or frozen milk.
Simply mix equal parts of instant coffee, granulated sugar, and water. The mixture goes from liquid to super thick and creamy. Then pour the mixture over the milk of your choice, either frozen or hot. And that’s it: light and simply creamy, frothy smoothie coffee!
Step by step instructions for whipped coffee (with photos)
- Start with 1 tablespoon of instant coffee, sugar, and water. Equal parts of 1 tablespoon are ideal for 1 serving. However, you can double or triple the recipe (which I did below to bring out the texture). The first time you mix it looks like a concentration of instant coffee.
- After a few minutes of beating, you will notice that the consistency decreases from dark brown with a liquid appearance to a lighter and thicker consistency.
- Keep beating at this point because you’ll soon find out that it will get an even lighter color to create a creamy, foamy smoothie. It will look almost like peanut butter. You will know you are done when you get to the whisk. You will see that it is much thicker and it keeps its shape.
- When you finish whipping the mixture, you are ready for the final step of the whipped coffee recipe. Pour this mixture over milk or water, stir and enjoy. You can take it over ice or warm milk. You can even serve it over ice water or warm water, to make Americano coffee.
Recipe for whipped coffee
Whipped cream is made from just 3 mixed ingredients: instant coffee, sugar and water. It’s a creamy and frothy mixture that is served over warm or frozen milk. This smoothie is a fun drink to take home and aesthetically pleasing to look at.
- 1 tablespoon of instant coffee
- 1 spoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 8 ounces of milk for serving
Cuisine: American, Korean
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 0 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Servings: 1 serving
Calories: 202 kcal
- Put the instant coffee, sugar, and water in a bowl.
- Use a fork, hand mixer, or food processor to combine. Depending on the type of mixer used, it takes between 2 and 10 minutes. Look for a thick consistency that is a lot lighter in color.
- Serve as a creamy topping over any milk of your choice, cold or hot.
You can keep unused whipped coffee in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can whip it again to make it frothy and lighter.
I use a traditional whisk to make the whipped coffee. But you can also use a hand mixer or a milk frother since it makes work easier for your hands.
Please note that the nutrition information provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It depends on the specific ingredients you are using, including milk.
Calories: 202 kcal | Carbohydrates: 27 g | Protein: 8 g | Fat: 7 g | Saturated fat: 4 g | Cholesterol: 23 mg | Sodium: 100 mg | Potassium: 476 mg | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 367 IU | Calcium: 256 mg | Iron: 1 mg
How long does it take to whip coffee?
The good news is that the preparation of harvested coffee does not take too much time and is therefore perfect for a busy morning. It’s faster with a hand mixer, but a whisk works too.
Fair warning: This is going to be your morning workout!
Whether you stir vigorously by hand or use an electric hand mixer, it only takes about 3 to 4 minutes to make coffee.
For soft, mousse-like tips, stop at 3 minutes and for a stiffer tip continue for 4 minutes.
Tips for making whipped coffee
- Use hot water for the best results. Hot water is not required. It still mixes well in cold water or at room temperature. However, I found that hot water worked faster.
- Use an electronic mixer to make it faster. The first time I did this, I let my husband beat it because his hands were tired after shaking for a few minutes. A stand mixer or milk frother works great and is much faster! It will take at least another 5 minutes.
- Whisk the ingredients together in a bowl, not a cup or glass. This is because Dalgona coffee becomes fluffy and is beaten by the mixture that interacts with the air. As a result, a tall container such as a mug or jug will not allow enough air to circulate.
- Mix the whipped coffee with a spoon or straw before drinking it. The whipped coffee is fun to serve over the drink, but to fully enjoy it, mix it to incorporate the flavor. At this point, it will look like a frappuccino.
Whipped coffee variations
1. Add an ounce of Kahlua or Irish Cream Whiskey to the milk for a moist treat.
2. Drizzle 1 to 2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup over the sides of the glass before adding milk and ice for a chocolaty treat.
3. Use ¼ cup of milk and add a small scoop of ice cream (instead of ice) for a whipped coffee.
4. Use almond milk, coconut milk, or other nut milk for a dairy-free option.
Whipped coffee FAQ
Any other service suggestions?
This smoothie coffee is the best enjoyed with ice milk. But I’ve seen a lot of people serve it with many types of desserts. Make sure you whip it long enough to get spikes when adding it to desserts.
Can I use ground coffee?
Unfortunately, it doesn’t work with regular ground coffee as it is necessary to make it before it is tasty. You have to use instant coffee to do it.
What type of sugar is best for a coffee smoothie?
This works best with granulated sugar. However, there are different types of granulated sugar that you can use: traditional white sugar, cane sugar, brown sugar, coconut sugar, or even raw sugar.
Can I do it with less sugar, no sugar, or a sugar alternative?
Yes, you can skip the sugar, cut down on the sugar, or use a sugar alternative like stevia, but in this case, it won’t lighten or fluff as easily.
Which instant coffee is better to use?
You can use any brand of instant coffee you have. I like Nescafé and it’s very popular and widespread so I always have it in my pantry.